Rice Noodle Bowl
Vietnamese rice noodle bowl is the perfect comfort food. A spicy recipe from James Beard Award-winning cookbook author Andrea Nguyen. Simple layers of fresh vegetables and herbs provide a refreshing crunch. The noodles sop up the flavor; and the homemade Nuoc Cham brings the Vietnamese flavors together for a truly authentic meal. Along with other Asian countries, Vietnam prefer the chopstick for their silverware. Use a Western style soup spoon which pairs nicely when served with this dish. If you can’t wheeled a chopstick a fork will do in a pinch.
Rice Noodle Bowl
- 1/4 cup of coarsely chopped lemongrass.
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or black pepper for a milder heat.
- The Bowl:
- 2 chicken boneless skinless thighs
- 1 package of uncooked rice stick noodles Maifun
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 3 green onion thinly sliced on diagonal
- 1 Persian cucumber cut into thin strips
- 4 cups loosely packed mixed baby lettuce thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves removed from stem
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts or other desired nut
- 1/4 cup crispy fried shallots
- 1 cup Nuoc Cham
- Nuoc Cham:
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Combine in a small bowl dilute the sugar and add more lime or sugar to taste.
- Add..... 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated carrot
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 thinly sliced jalapeño pepper
- Marinade: Place all marinade ingredients in a food processor; pulse unit you have a slightly coarse puree. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Salad: Cut each chicken thigh into a 3 x 1 inch strips. Add the chicken stripes to the marinade. Massage the marinade into the chicken pieces. Thread each piece onto a 5" skewer. Place each skewer onto a plate; let them stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinading, boil the noodles in a pot of water until chewy. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain again. Divide lettuce, and bean sprouts, cucumbers, basil, green onions and cilantro on a large serving plate. Divide the noodles into 4 bowls. Set aside.
- Lemongrass Chicken: Heat a grill pan over medium high. Lightly brush skewered chicken with oil. Place skewers on hot grill and cook. Turning occasionally, until chicken is slightly charred and cooked through, 8 -10 minutes.
- Divide chicken among the noodle bowls. Allow guests to top with the preferred vegetables and end with peanuts; fried shallots.
- Place Nuoc Cham in a small bowl; let diners dress and toss their own bowls.