Crab Rangoon are a delicious appetizer you’ll find in many Asian restaurants. Typically like a fried wonton, but with a creamy, crabby, tasty filling. Crab rangoon consists of wonton wrappers that are filled with a mixture of crab, cream cheese, garlic powder, ginger, green onions and Worcestershire sauce. The wontons are either fried like your traditional pot sticker or fried until golden brown and crispy in oil for a crunchy texture. They are served with a sweet, hot and sour sauce that compliment the filling.
Crab Rangoon are a delicious appetizer you’ll find in many Asian restaurants. Typically like a fried wonton, but with a creamy, crabby, tasty filling.
- deep fryer,
- 8 ounces crab meat or chopped imitation crab
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 20 wonton wrappers
- Sweet and Sour Dipping sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/2 cup liquid from canned pineapple
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup canned pineapple chucks drained and reserved
- Combine vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, chili flakes, and water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, whisking to combine until sugar is dissolved. Combine remaining tablespoon water and corn starch in a small bowl and whisk with a fork to form a slurry. Whisk into sauce and bring to a boil. Allow to cool while you form the crab Rangoon.
- To finish the sauce, add pineapple chunks and puree with an immersion blender or transferring to a blender.
- Place the crab meat, cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, ginger and green onions in a bowl. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Place a wonton wrapper on a flat surface and drop 2 teaspoons of the crab mixture in the center. Brush the edges of the wonton with water. Bring 2 opposite corners together in the middle of the wonton and pinch to form a package shape.
- Repeat with the raining wontons and crab mixture until all are filled.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees. Fry wontons until a chestnut brown color. Make sure they are browned enough, if not they will be soggy.
- Drain the wontons on a paper towel. Serve on a platter with a sprinkling of green onions. Enjoy!