Make homemade lasagna with every ingredient from scratch. Sauce, pasta, and ricotta all made with love by your own hands. Nothing beats the Italian experience in your own home.
I make the Italian pasta , or gluten free pasta and an easy homemade ricotta for a truly Italian dinner. My recipes teach you the step by step process to making ricotta that will blow your mind and the pasta sheets can’t get much easier with the Kitchenaid attachment.
- Weigh 500 grams of flour and place onto the work surface. Form a well in the center of the flour. Crack the eggs and add the eggs salt and olive oil to the well in the flour. Use a fork to whisk the eggs together. Slowly incorporate flour into the eggs and blend until a thick paste forms. Scrape off the fork. Use the Metal Bench Knife to scrape the flour into the paste and cut the mixture together until it starts to come together. Firmly press the mixture together to begin breaking down the dry bits and incorporating them into the dough. Use the dough to pick up any stray pieces on the board. Knead firmly to continue to incorporate all the dry bits into the dough and until the dough becomes cohesive. Continue to knead for 8 to 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and small blisters form on the surface. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes before rolling or forming into the pasta shapes.
- This recipe can be cut in half. Or you can wrap extra in plastic and keeping the refrigerator it to make another day. It will last 2 days wrapped.
- Layering the Lasagna in a 9x13 pan.
- Spread 1 cup sauce on the bottom of the pan evenly
- Add a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spread another cup of sauce over the noodles.
- Crumble ricotta cheese over the sauce and noodles.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan on top of the ricotta.
- Add noodles
- Add sauce
- Add ricotta
- Add mozzarella and parmesan
- Add noodles
- Repeat until layers have reached the top ending with the noodles.
- Top should have a layer of pasta covered with sauce and sprinkled with mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover with foil, spray the foil with pam before placing on top of lasagna, this helps the foil to not stick to the cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1-2 hours or until heated thoroughly. Best the next day after flavors have melded together!
Italian Red Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 onion medium size, diced
- 4 cups canned plum tomatoes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons parsley minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 lb. ground lean beef.
- In a saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and chopped onions until soft. Add the ground beef and cook until meats color is gone. Remove excess fat from the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes, fennel and salt. Simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.