Penne with sausage sauce
The Italians know their pasta, this rendition is one of my favorites. Quick and easy packed with flavor you’ll enjoy every bite. What makes this exceptional is the fresh rosemary and a bit of cream. Both of these ingredients put it over the top! Great for a weeknight meal or even for those picky guests!
Penne with Sausage Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small red onions peeled and finely chopped
- 5 Italian spiced fresh pork sausage, meat removed from skins and crumbled
- 1 1/2 tablespoon heaped tablespoons rosemary crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon crushed chile peppers
- 128 ounce can peeled plum tomatoes chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup heaped cup Parmesan freshly grated
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, add the sausage and sauté together over high heat, stirring to mashing. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the fat, add the chopped onions and continue to cook for 15 minutes. Then add the rosemary, bay leaves, and chile, sauté to allow the flavors to be released from the herbs. The sausages meat should become brown and crumbly. Add the tomatoes, stir and return to a boil. Remove from the stove.
- Cook penne in a generous amount of boiling salted water, then drain thoroughly.
- Stir the cream into the sauce along with the drained penne and half the Parmesan. Taste for seasoning, and serve with the remaining Parmesan.
- Adapted from Rogers and Gray Italian Country